Sunday, April 18, 2010

Common crossroads for Celts, Sarmatians and Indians




















As I was planning to go home I thought I'll be having this nostalgic mood for Paris and start writing something positive about it for a change. Unfortunately I am still in the city and so no nostalgia yet... 
Feeling a bit like stuck in a crossroad cause I don't know if I am staying here for vacations or leaving tomorrow I thought I will talk about this rather complicated but really interesting stuff that I found out about crossroads.
As you know because of severe politics of education in Lithuania I had to leave and so I've started to study history at university La Sorbonne in Paris. As you also might know is that French are partly Celts. But what you most definitely don't know is that these Celts had one particular symbol. The symbol is called Triskele or Triskelion. What is really interesting is that this word still has a meaning in the oldest Sarmatian dialect - Lithuanian language. It means "three ways". First I thought that it was just a coincidence but than I realized that it is precisely what is shown on the symbol. These are three possible ways of your life. Finally it came to my mind that this symbol is still present in Baltic and Slavic stories. There is always a crossroad where a man has to make a decision between three ways: one destructive, one constructive and finally the magical one. "If you will choose the first way you will die, if you choose the second one you will find your love, by choosing the last one you will not be seen again" On the other hand it reminded me of three main Indian Castes: destroyers - warriors - Kshatriyas, creators - farmers - Vaishyas and magicians - scholars - Brahmins.Which all together form a harmonious society.
I guess this symbol, stories and social system talk about same thing - I think it means that we all have to choose our life's path. 
So all this made me think that it is really amazing how three cultures that we find so different and distant has the exactly same base and fundaments of their world-view. And I believe that even today this is still present - I think that among us there are still warriors, farmers and priests walking though it isn't so obvious as it was.
As for me I guess I am a warrior... soldat... soldat... karys

No comments:

Post a Comment